Are you wanting to hear good music? There are many factors to do. But this is an important thing that you should not overlook.
I recommend a bass mid treble Tone control circuit using an op-amp.
You should choose to use the NE5532 as main, it is so an interesting IC. Because of the ultra-low noise properties.
So often uses them in a Hi-Fi audio system. Here are small circuits with a PCB layout.
I hope they will be useful to you. Good luck, thanks.
Look at 5 circuits, from small to LARGE below:
Pre Tone Control Stereo using NE5532
First circuit diagram. If you want a good simple Pre Tone Control circuit in Stereo. I recommend this circuit in your choice.
Because it uses only one NE5532. It is a high-quality IC, inexpensive extremely.
Look at the circuit.
Simple Stereo Tone Control PreAmplifier circuit NE5532
Although, it is a small stereo(2 channel) circuit. But it has a full option to adjust the sound.
In this circuit, you can adjust the bass, treble sound well, and high-low sound in easy.
Also, set a balance of the sound everything is completed.
You may use your skill to try to build the circuit in easy with the PCB layout Below.
PCB layout & Component layout of Simple Pre Tone Control
What is more?
Sometime you may want more adjusting.
Bass-Mid range-Treble Pre Tone Control
If you do not like the first circuit. Because it cannot adjust all full range of sound.
This is the second circuit. It still fully adjusting to Pre Tone Control in Stereo.
You adjustable Bass, midrange and treble.
So, you can adjust full-range sound easily.
Bass, MID range, Treble Stereo Tone Control circuit
Easy to build, PCB small.
PCB layout of Pre Tone Control Stereo (bass-mid range-treble)
High Gain Stereo Tone Control (bass-treble) using NE5532
If you do not like the first circuit. Because it may low power output so cannot really use with a very small input signal.
My friends want a tone Control Stereo circuit. It can control the sound bass-treble-volume well. And it is a high gain more than two circuits above.
Then, I found this circuit, Tone Control Stereo (bass-treble) using two NE5532.
Also, it uses an integrated circuit op-amp that is low many noises or low noise. So, it makes a good sound and easy to build too.
This circuit uses two integrated circuits. So it can amplify a smaller signal input to a power amplifier.
Not only that you can see better circuit with high gain circuit.
Look at circuit below:
Low noise pre tone control circuit using 4558 – NE5532
In fact, 3 circuits above for beginner and cheap. But Do you want a better version?
Circuit diagram of Low noise pre tone control circuit using NE55532
It uses a NE5532 as the key of the circuit. It was very interesting ICs. Because have special features of low signal noise. You will commonly use it in a high-class amplifier.
My friend said me, if you want a low and high frequency of sound, use RC4558 instead.
To avoid hum noise on the background. Use: 15V Dual power supply
How to build
You can assemble all parts on the PCB & Components layout as below.
The actual size of the single-sided copper PCB layout and the component layout.
Be careful list:
- The polarity of electrolyte capacitors must be correctly put on PCB.
- On PCB layout is used for transistors – BC557 or BC560C noise transistors types.
- If the number MPSA42 switches the position of the emitter and collector to the opposite direction.
- Be Careful of a beginner at every point soldering Requires heating the solder sufficiently to ensure that all solder points are very well equipped.
- Do not heat the solder too hot. Because May cause equipment damage And copper may be peeling off.
- How to help the solder is easy to clean pins all the time.
- When assembled and checked well. To apply the power supply to this circuit connects correctly.
- Connect the output of the circuit to the main amplifier and bring the good signal to the input of the circuit.
- Check the operation of the circuit by adjusting the Knob. Obtain the desired result.
Modify the pre mic circuit
- Those who want to use the pre microphone, you can modify circuit to new as Figure 3 The feedback circuit for microphone
- IC1: NE5532 low noise OP-AMP or LM1458 or JRC4558
- Q1, Q2: BC557 or MPSA42, PNP 0.1A 40V Transistors
- 0.25W 1% Resistors
- R1: 47K
- R2: 1.2K
- R3: 1M
- R4: 100K
- R5, R6, R8, R14: 2.2K
- R7: 270K
- R9: 1.2K
- R11,R12,R13,R17: 10K
- R14: 3.3K
- R15: 4.7K
- R16: 470 ohms
- R18, R19, R20, R21: 100 ohms 0.5W 1% Resistors
See these circuit may like them
- 3 Low Noise Microphone Preamplifier
- Universal Preamplifier using NE5532, LM382, 741
- Treble Booster Circuit using 741
Super Pre Tone Control Project using LF353
Why we use the active tone control Baxandall type circuit? You will get an answer here. And you may love and build it.
First, learn a little about tone controls:
Types of tone controls
We can divide the normal type of tone control are 2 types as follows.
- Passive Tone Control
- Active Tone Control
Passive tone control
A style of the passive tone control circuit is shown in figure 1. We do not widely use this circuit. Because sound quality is reduced and low performance.
Active Tone Control
We like to use it. the active tone control type that most familiar. is the Baxandall type circuit As shown below.
The advantage of this active tone control type is not caused loss signal.
How does the circuit work
We may understand the function of this circuit easier. By considering the comparison of the circuit in Figure.
The simple feedback circuit
See that the gain of the circuit is equal to the Rb / Ra. So
- Rb = 10, Ra we have gain = 10.
- Ra=Rb, The gain will be 1
If we return to consider in figure 2, will see that C1, R1 & C2 + R2 are connected together that the value its Impedance will decrease as the frequency increases.
If we adjust VR1, the Ra1 value is greater than C1 + R1. Then, the gain of line M in figure 4.
On the contrary, if we adjust the volume in the other direction. Will have gain of the circuit as line N. In figure 4 VR1 serves as the Treble control.
Then consider the P3 + C3 and C4 + R4 will see that resistance is even higher. When lower frequency so has the gain of the circuit as figure 4 then P, Q to R5-resistor that serves as a separate circuit, the 2 parts, not to interfere with each other.
Which in practice. Can not be strictly separated circuits. That is when we adjust the bass – treble would be with prejudice.
how to modify so Maybe split both control circuit independent decisively as shown in figure 5
Sequential two-stage tone control which avoids inter-action between controls.
From these principles, we can design the tone control circuit solutions.As circuit shown in Figure 6.
See Full Super tone control circuit diagram
We use the circuit of Q1, Q2 transistor acts as a Matching circuit. Between input and this super tone control. We connect Q1, emitter follower type. And have Q2 is a constant current source circuit.
The IC1-LF353 will act as the adjust the treble sound. And IC2-NE5532N serves as a fine bass voice. Because the normal tone control and pre-amplifier will work best well.
When they drive a circuit with low impedance, and the load applied to high resistance.
How to build
Make a PCB as PCB layout and Assemble them as positioning devices. I believe you can do it.
Figure 7 PCB of Super tone control
PCB layout of this project
The Shopping List
- IC1: LF353, Wide Bandwidth Dual JFET Input Operational Amplifier or NE5532N
- Q1, Q2: BC549, 45V 100mA NPN Transistor
0.25W +/- 1% Resistors
- R1, R5, R15: 2.2K
- R2, R16: 100 ohms
- R3: 270K
- R4, R8, R9, R11, R12: 10K
- R6: 2.2K
- R7, R10, R13, R14: 100K
- R15: 3.3K
- VR1, VR2: 100KB Linear Potentiometer
- VR3: 50KA CT non-Linear Potentiometer
- C1, C2, C7: 10uF 16V
- C12, C13: 100uF 25V
- C3, C4: 0.0047uF 50V
- C5, C6: 0.047uF 50V
- C8: 0.001uF 50V
- C9: 0.01uF 50V
- C10, C11: 0.1uF 50V
All full-size images of this post are in this Ebook: Elec Circuit vol. 2 below. Please support me. 🙂
You should use a good quality of DC dual regulator power supply,+12V and -12V.
12V Dual Power Supply, 80mA min. It has Positive, Negative, Ground. You may use the 7812-7912 DC regulator.
Besides, IC1 and IC2 use, the number can replace many the number such as NE5532 or LF353 or RC4558, etc.
If these circuits don’t clear.
Try other circuits using low noise transistors by the list below
- 7 tone control circuit diagram with PCB layout — There are many circuits for you to choose 2 to 5 transistors. They are easy but give a nice sound.
- High-quality tone control circuit diagram — Use all 8 low noise transistors, as a high gain pre-amplifier circuit. So, it is a great circuit in your Hi-Fi sound system.
Get Updates via EmailWe always try to make Electronics Learning Easy.