This is Universal digital counter circuit using CD4510 & CD4543, that as a cheap due to basic components you can buy in many electronic shop.
My friend said the some circuits that price same this circuit may be not worth it. You can apply too much model as you want with special feature of this circuit following.
- A count up or count down the time.
- Can connect output to a 7 segment LED both a Cathode common or Anode common.
- Can store a collection of information
- Can set number counting in advance.
In circuit as figure 1 is shown normal operation, by set the circuit are 2 main, that if we want more than this, it can be connected together to added unlimited.
Figure 1 is A versatile and cheap digital counter circuit
The heart of the circuit is composed of 2 parts.
- A decoder and drive LED display.
- The counter number on the Binary Code Decimal Output that use IC2-CD4510
In Figure 2 shows the internal structure of IC2-CD4510. It can be seen that consisting of D-type Flip Flop 4 set with a counting circuit.
How This Circuit works
The simple working principle is a counter circuits (IC2-CD4510) will works counting the clock input signal that is entered into this circuit on pin 15. And there is output at pin 6,11,14,2 in Binary Code form, then apply to input of pin 5,3,2,4 of IC1-CD4543.
The IC1-CD4543 will decode signal out to drive The 7 Segment LED to display value that can count. When the circuit run to 10 will has a Co signal(Carry Out) for apply to pin Ci(Carry in) of the next section …respectively
The 7 Segment LED is used by this circuit can use both the anode common or the cathode common with connecting that pin Ph (pin 6) of IC1-CD4543 to pin common of the 7 segment LED.
The reset circuit into 0 can be connected a positive voltage at pin reset (pin 9) of IC2- CD4510
– The default setting for the count, done by entering a positive voltage ( the state of digital logic is 1) in the leg PE (pin 1) of IC 2. then set value as you want start with Binary Code on pin P1,P2,P3,P4 (pin 4,12,13,3)
– Determining circuit that count up or count down is simple. By using control voltage at pin 10 of IC2. If we enter the positive voltage into, the circuit will count up and then we connect to ground the circuit will count down.
-In During the counter circuit works. If we want to stop the numbers show the moment. By the counter circuit still continue to work as normal.
We can do by connect pin LD (pin 1) of IC1 to the ground and when want the circuit display as current value that is counting, just connect to a positive voltage to pin LD only.
The PCB of the circuit
How to builds
This circuit set can assemble into PCB as shown in Figure 3 will seen that PCB is divided into two parts are the parts that hold the 7 segment LED amount of 2 pcs. On the same sheet. And other one as main circuit.
The connecting a display PCB and a counter circuit together, can be done with Soldering the ground to the edge of the PCB, the two together. Then use the end pin R1-R8 join together other layer.
In peripheral the counter circuit together multiple sectors. Do not forget If you want to circuit in counting form of Synchronous Counter. To connect pin Co from the beginning, to pin Ci of the next section respectively. But if you want connecting circuit in Asnchronous counter form, connect pin Co from beginning section to pin Clock(pin 15) of next.
We should choose the digits display as 7 segment LED that use low current.
GET UPDATE VIA EMAIL
I always try to make Electronics Learning Easy.
Up to $20 shipping discount on first order now: https://jlcpcb.com/quote